The first night you roast the chicken and have hot slices of it with pan gravy. The next night, there's not enough parts left to serve just the chicken. So you stretch it into a casserole.
Second Night Chicken Casserole
Leftover chicken meat
1 good sized yellow onion
one bunch of prime celery heart
1 can of whole peeled tomatoes (not drained)
1 can of dark kidney beans, or black beans (rinsed and drained)
2 tbsp olive oil
tri-color corkscrew pasta--2 cups uncooked
1 cup grated cheese (either cheddar, parmesian, romano, feta-- it's your choice, each different cheese gives the dish a different direction)
optional quartered artichoke hearts
salt, pepper, Italian seasoning
• Pick the rest of the chicken meat from the carcass and set aside
• Cook the pasta, toss with a little olive oil and set aside
• Chop up the onion and celery and sautee in olive oil until brown.
(this can be either done in an iron casserole pan, or in a skillet and assembled in a baking dish- I just do everything in a large Creuset covered skillet)
• stir all (except cheese) ingredients together in whatever you're going to bake it in.
• top with cheese
• preheat oven to 350º and bake for about 30 min.
Amounts of ingredients can be adjusted to your own taste, or need for quantity.
This serves four hungry people, with maybe a little left over for lunch.